The Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund
Applications for 2019 travel are now closed.
There will be two application windows for 2020 travel.
September 14, 2019 – December 31, 2019. Applications for any events taking place in 2020.
January 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020. Applications for any events taking place between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.
We encourage full time or part time employees of NEFLIN member libraries to apply for a stipend of up to $500 for out-of-state travel and up to $250 for in-state travel towards:
• library related conferences
• professional development
• classes that contribute to the continuing education of the applicant
How to Apply
- Applicant must be an employee (full time or part time) of a NEFLIN member library.
- There are two applications periods for funding in 2020. Applications are due by December 31, 2019, or April 30, 2020.
- The NEFLIN Board of Directors will consider applications at their January and May, 2020, meetings. They will award funds based on the following criteria:
- Application is complete and received by the deadline date.
- Appropriateness of the event to applicant’s continuing education.
- Assessment of applicant’s statement explaining the need and benefit to themselves and their organization of the continuing education event.
- The NEFLIN Board of Directors will award funds at their sole discretion.
- Award notifications will be made after the January and May, 2020, NEFLIN Board of Directors meetings.
- Stipend recipients must submit the following items to NEFLIN within 30 days after the event:
- Proof of attending the event (e.g., registration receipt, travel receipts, agenda and/or certificate of attendance).
- Write a brief summary (250-500 words) of your experience at the event and how it benefited your and your library (for use on promotional materials, etc.).
- Submit a headshot (.gif or .jpg) for promotion of the JMCEF.
- Upon receipt of these items, funds will be disbursed.
- NEFLIN will award a maximum of $500 per applicant for out-of-state travel and up to $250 for in-state travel. A maximum of $500 will be awarded per applicant each calendar year.
NOTE: The Jim Morris Fund cannot be used towards membership dues for any professional organization.
Link to Online Application
Make a Tax Deductible Donation
The JMCEF is supported by an annual NEFLIN Silent Auction and donations.
To make a tax deductible donation: CLICK HERE
You will be sent a letter after January 1st that states NEFLIN is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and your donation may qualify as a charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes.
About the Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund
The Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund (JMCEF) was created by the 2011-12 NEFLIN Board of Directors and is dedicated to the memory of Jim Morris.
About Jim Morris
Jim Morris was the Library Director at Florida Gateway College, formerly Lake City Community College, for 24 years and was a much loved friend and colleague to many throughout the state. He devoted his career to the love of books and libraries and is greatly missed since his untimely death in 2012 from pancreatic cancer.
Jim was born and raised in Jeffersonville, Indiana, just across the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and History from Indiana University in 1972, and a Masters of Liberal Arts degree in Political Science from the University of Florida in 1973. After that he moved back to the Louisville area and worked as a Reference Paraprofessional at the Louisville Free Public Library for 3 years. He returned to Florida in 1978 and became a grant writer and Instructional Resource Specialist at Brevard Community College (BCC).
In 1984, Jim accepted the position of Continuing Education Director at Lake City Community College (LCCC), and upon earning a Master’s Degree in Library Science from Florida State University in 1989 he became Director of the LCCC Library. He was promoted to Executive Director of Library and Community Services in 2001.
Jim served on the executive board of the Computer Center for Library Automation (CCLA), was co-chair of the Task Force on the Future of Florida’s Academic Libraries 2010-2012, and was awarded the 2012 Librarian of the Year award by the Florida Library Association. He served on the NEFLIN Board of Directors 2004-2007, the last year as board president. In 2008 he and Patricia Hay Morris (NEFLIN Continuing Education Coordinator 2005-2013) were married in the LCCC library.
Jim was an artist who painted abstract expressionism and had several art shows in Lake City. Some of his artwork can be seen at http://jimmorrisart.blogspot.com/, and one of his paintings is on display in the NEFLIN classroom. He was also a poet, classical guitarist and composer, and was working on a novel. He was admired by many for his intelligence, humor and warm personality.
Some of the Recipients of the Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund